First up, thanks to those who voted on which fabric to use for the cycling kit. The filigree design won narrowly over the Mayan-style print. I’ve kind of worked out how I’ll use the print but I’ve had to put the project on hold for a little while. I manage to pop my ankle out again and it will take a couple of months before I can try cycling again. It’s so frustrating!!
In other news, good friends of mine have bought a retirement house a few of hours drive from where we are now. I’m going to miss them when they make the move permanently. As a house-warming present, I thought I’d make a set of tea-towels for them. I’m also being a little selfish as it was a project I could do that didn’t involve a lot of moving around, and I could work the treadles with one foot.
The weave is thick and thin – a plain weave. It reminded me a bit of log cabin, but using different thickness thread rather than different colours. The project is based on one featured on the cover page of Handwoven Nov/Dec 2016 edition. I’ve used different colours to work with their current kitchen and what I had in stash – white, black and burgundy. The thick threads are a 8/2 cotton used doubled, and the fine thread was a 16/2 cotton.
Since I was using doubled thread, I asked DH to make me some double shuttles. The first is made from Vic Ash and the second from Spotted Gum. The Spotted Gum was from a flooring offcut. Lovely timber !!! ‘Custom’ bobbins made from plastic tube ( garden watering system risers) and circles cut from MDF sheets using a hole-saw bit. Very agricultural but does the job.
For the first towel, I followed the first draft. Then I started making it up as I went along, just making sure that they were the same length and the design was mirrored. With the four towel, I decided to have a play with the design and as a result, it is very different from the others. I kind of like it though.
So these are the four towels – hemmed and washed.