When I did my wardrobe clean-out last month, I was making notes on gaps that I needed to fill and patterns that I should so again. One of my “opportunities” was to sew a couple of tops to go with one of my pants. It is a lovely Japanese cotton with a little bit of texture. The warp is black and the weft is a rusty colour.
The problem is that depending on the light, it can look anywhere from an orange-red through to a dark blueish Pilbara red. The shade tends to shift away from similar colours rather than blending with them, so I’ve mainly wore it with a black shirt.
So I took the pants fabric shopping with me in the hope of finding some prints that would work with it. I came home with three options. The top two are rayon prints – one casual, one for work. The third was what I thought to be a linen, bundled in plastic wrap in the remnants bin. When I got it home, I realised it was a linen-look polyester :-(. And the last is a knit that I’ve had in the stash for a while. Not sure if it really works. What do you think?
Plan A – Butterick 5988
For the first print, I’ve used Butterick 5988, views A & B. It’s been on my wishlist for a while and is a nice alternative to a fitted woven T. The waist darts release into a box pleat which gives a slight peplum look.
I’ve taken the sleeve from view B and the length from view A. I’ve omitted the lining.
One of the best things is how well this top works with other pants in my wardrobe – black, brown, dusty pink and cream. The rust pants, with this top, combined with the cream linen jacket makes a nice combo. The leather jacket and brown pants combo is also nice although the sateen was hard to photograph well.
I cut a size smaller than my ‘recommended’ size (based on the bust and hip finished measurements) and I could have easily gone down another two sizes. The side seams were taken in a total of 4″ and it still isn’t quite what I’d call fitted. Looking at the photos, I’m also thinking that the sleeve length is a little long and I might take an inch or two off the length.
Sloper draft 🙂
During the week I’ve been working through Suzy Furrer’s bodice sloper class on Craftsy. After the hassles with the pant sloper, I’ve been a bit hesitant to work on the bodice. But, I’m happy to say that the sloper was much easier to work on and only needed a couple of minor tweaks to initial draft. Whoo hoo – I have a bodice sloper!!! Next up will be a sleeve draft.
My plan is to use it to draft to recreate this Butterick pattern to my own measurements. It is a design that I could make over and over again, so I think the effort will be worth it. Plus it gives me the incentive to tackle those intimidating sloper fitting sessions!
At a Glance:
|Pattern: Butterick 5988
Fabric: Rayon woven print
Rating: 3/5 Great alternative to a woven T. Pattern runs very large
Difficulty: 2/5 Fairly simple to put together. Has back zipper
|30 wears: Likely
Fad factor: Medium
Flexibility: High ( > 5 outfits)
Expected life: 4-5 years