This project started of as a test garment for McCalls 7387, which was an utter fail. If it hadn’t been for the nice print and a perfect button placket (made using a new technique), I would have given up. With a bit of pattern tetris, I was able to transform it into a blouse that I love.Continue reading “A blouse within a blouse”
I saw this bold bright brushstroke knit at The Remnant Warehouse and just couldn’t resist. Love the lime cotton knit too. Both nice for a pop of colour on a grey day.
The wrap knit wasn’t as successful – way to deep in the neckline. The tucked piece doesn’t have enough spread in the pattern piece and distorts the waist seamline. Continue reading “Something to brighten up a dull day…”
Last year I made a rayon top using Butterick 5988. I loved the design as it is a nice alternative to a fitted woven T. The waist darts release into a box pleat which gives a slight peplum look. It was a very wearable muslin, but I had taken the side seams in quite a lot during fitting but the shoulders still felt very big.
I’ve had this project on my wishlist for a while now. You may have noticed a drawing on this shirt in my “Now Sewing” section of the side bar for some time (since December at least). Sometimes you can’t rush a project, but with the cooler weather approaching, I finally got around to making it. Continue reading “A striped linen shirt”
Sometimes the KISS approach is the best way to go. Continue reading “Burgundy Lace Top”
How many ways can can you a sleeve? Over the last month, I’ve been diving into different drafting methods and was surprised at how many different ways it can be done.
I wanted to make a close-fitting denim shirt, like in the tech drawing above. Shoulder yoke, front princess seams, shirt-tail hem, and long sleeves with placket and cuffs. The fabric is a lovely tencel chambray with printed dots. Over the last couple of weeks, I’ve done some more fitting with the armscye of my fitted blouse block that I used for the yellow shirt. I’ve used that block to draft this pattern. Continue reading “How many ways can you draft a sleeve?”
Time for some easy sewing projects. This time it is two t-shirts. The first is from my self-drafted relaxed fit t-shirt pattern. The second is a variation on a boat-neck t-shirt from Knipmode.
Before I go any further, I’d like to say a big thank-you to those of you who voted or commented on the design for my knitting project. The result was overwhelmingly for the V-neck with a short length. I’ve started the armhole shaping on the back. With a bit of luck I’ll have a finished jumper to show in the autumn. (I’m a very slow knitter). Continue reading “Simple sewing : Two knit Tees”
Remember those rust pants from a previous post that I was trying to find tops for? Well here is the second instalment : a casual summer blouse using Lekala 4420 Continue reading “Sew the look : Lekala 4420 Blouse”
When I did my wardrobe clean-out last month, I was making notes on gaps that I needed to fill and patterns that I should so again. One of my “opportunities” was to sew a couple of tops to go with one of my pants. It is a lovely Japanese cotton with a little bit of texture. The warp is black and the weft is a rusty colour. Continue reading “Butterick 5988 Floral Top”
This is the same pattern as in my previous post, but this time with twist. The fabric is one of those tech hiking fabrics, supposedly with moisture management and UV protection, that I see so often in RTW hiking shirts. It’s been in my stash for ages and I’ve always had plans to use it make a hiking shirt with all the bells and whistles. Continue reading “Pattern Hack: Hiking shirt with armpit and back vents”