If at first you don’t succeed …. try again

Recently I bought a lightweight sweater knit to make a summer pullover/cardi/beach cover-up type of thing.  As you can tell, I didn’t have a firm idea of what I’d like to make with it.  My first attempt didn’t really work, but I managed to salvage it into something I love. First Attempt The idea first ...

T-shirt Project: Mokume shibori

This project started off looking for a way to knock-off this Proenza Schouler t-shirt.  It is a tie-dyed t-shirt retailing around AU$400 on ShopStyle.  I just hope that most of the cost was involved in the labour to make the t-shirt, rather than the label. My initial thoughts on how to replicate the patterning was ...

T-shirt Project: Iron-on transfers

Follow my blog with Bloglovin This year I’d like to have a play with different surface art and embellishment techniques.  So each month, I’m challenging myself to make a t-shirt using a different technique.  To kick off my January project, I thought I’d start with an easy one – iron on transfers. The project for ...

Lobo's shorts sketch

Designer Knock-off: Marmot Lobo’s shorts

I have been snoop shopping for a good design for boardshorts and decided to adapt these Marmot Lobo's shorts.  My ideal boardshorts are short enough to swim in without a heap of baggy fabric, but long enough that I can stop off at the local cafe on my way to the lake and not feel ...

Merckwaerdigh BAD24

The swimsuit 2016: Part 2

My togs are finished and road- swim- tested!   Armed with the English instructions the pieces went together like a breeze.  I’m really happy with how they have turned out.  You can see part 1 here. Construction The instructions are concise but very clear.  You are guided as to what stitch to use on each step.  ...

The swimsuit 2016: Part 1

Finally, I'm summoned up the courage to tackle this swimsuit (a.k.a. togs).  It has only taken 4 years, but I think it will be worth the wait.  The pattern is Merckwaerdigh BAD 24.  I fell in love with it the first time I saw it.  It is very distinctive and I was particularly attracted to ...

Lekala 4305 (Jacket With Stand Collar) in Denim

Last year I made the pattern last year "as-is" in leather and have worn it a lot. I have used the pattern as a base to knock-off of the Kuhl Burr jacket. This post covers the design changes that I made. Please see the original post for more detail on the original pattern / instructions ...

P

Pattern Review: McCall 7199 in Printed Mesh

When this pattern was first released I was really excited.  I had seen a similar style in RTW on Anthropology and more recently, the Style Arc Marie Jacket pattern.  The different closures were appealing, especially view C with the toggle closure. I made it up in a lightweight printed mesh.   The fabric is gorgeous but ...

2015 Wardrobe–Waratahs & Wombats

Autumn is giving way to winter so I wanted tops I could wear by themselves, or under a jacket. The pants I wanted to be suitable for winter wear. I also wanted the items to fit in with at least two of the jackets that I made last year, and all to work with the ...

Pattern Review: Patrones Magazine 339 #3 (Pantalon Lasserre) in heavy cotton twill

I made these pants in a very heavy, tightly woven cotton twill. The fabric is still a little stiff but should soften (I hope).  The style lines of this pattern a great - a bit more detailed than most pant patterns. The princess seams make fitting much easier too. I may sew this again in ...

Browse Categories