Despite the heat, the last couple of days has been quite productive with two bra/pantie sets and a strapless bra. My favourite would have to be the set made from a knit top that I rarely wear. It’s remake is quite stunning.
This swimsuit pattern would have to be my favourite. It is Merckwaerdigh BAD24. I love the design, especially the ‘flow’ of the black bands, and is very flattering. It would also have to be one the most comfortable suits I’ve worn and is my favourite to wear kayaking – lots of freedom of movement in the shoulders. Continue reading “New swimsuit : Merckwaerdigh BAD24”
My new tankini is finished and I love how it has turned out. The printed panel was not as easy to work with as I first thought, but I’m really happy with how the print works with this design.
The pattern is Merckwaerdigh MIX5L, view D. Which is a tankini version of the bras I made a couple of months back. The bra is wire free but still very supportive and has been very comfortable to wear. But it was really the back of the tankini pattern that sparked me into buying the pattern. Continue reading “Blue and orange tankini (Merckwaerdigh MIX5L)”
Lately, I’ve been getting a lot of use from a pair of swimshorts that I made a couple of years ago using the Jalie 3351 pattern. I’ve found them good to wear kayaking or for a social swim & BBQ up a the lake.
When I made the first pair, I picked the size based on my hip measurement and they were way to big. I ended up taking them in the equivalent of about 3 sizes. I also found that the pocket wasn’t all that secure. Continue reading “Jalie 3351 swimshorts”
I have been snoop shopping for a good design for boardshorts and decided to adapt these Marmot Lobo’s shorts. My ideal boardshorts are short enough to swim in without a heap of baggy fabric, but long enough that I can stop off at the local cafe on my way to the lake and not feel too self conscious.
The Marmot Lobo’s have slant pockets on the front and welt pockets on the back. There is also a small side pocket with an exposed zipper to hold a car key in. I like the style of these, especially the curved lines around the pockets . The outside looks fairly plain with a neat line of top stitching showing the line of the internal pockets. Continue reading “Designer Knock-off: Marmot Lobo’s shorts”
Finally, I’m summoned up the courage to tackle this swimsuit (a.k.a. togs). It has only taken 4 years, but I think it will be worth the wait. The pattern is Merckwaerdigh BAD 24. I fell in love with it the first time I saw it. It is very distinctive and I was particularly attracted to the version with the stripes on the band. So, way back then, I found some funky striped fabric in black and white and had it shipped across the pond.
I also ordered the pattern along with some other lingerie supplies from ELingeriA. They sent me the Dutch language version instead on the English. Normally this isn’t a problem, having used KnipMode patterns for many years, I was getting to understand enough of what I was reading to be able to put things together. The pattern pieces have different markings for the notches so it is very easy to work out how the pieces go together. But on this one, I was having trouble working out where and when the elastic is applied. Each year, I’d get the pattern out and then get nervous about doing the elastic wrong. Summer would pass by and nothing would have happened.
So while the temperatures here are hovering around 40°C and my boardshorts just finished, I’m determined to get the project off the ground. Continue reading “The swimsuit 2016: Part 1”