Following on from my previous post on the stitching and dyeing process, it’s time to take a peek and see how it turned out. Continue reading “Slow Projects: Shibori and Indigo Dyeing – Results”
I started getting interested in shibori when I was doing some “internet research” for an Alabama Chanin style project. Although I love the look of AC-style garments, I couldn’t help worry about looking like I was wearing my farm clothes rather than something that had taken countless hours to create. Country Chic in a farming community is very hard to pull off. I kept being drawn to images of Japanese textiles using shibori or sashiko in a very controlled way. Here are some examples of what appealed to me. Continue reading “Slow Projects: Shibori and Indigo Dyeing”
My new tankini is finished and I love how it has turned out. The printed panel was not as easy to work with as I first thought, but I’m really happy with how the print works with this design.
The pattern is Merckwaerdigh MIX5L, view D. Which is a tankini version of the bras I made a couple of months back. The bra is wire free but still very supportive and has been very comfortable to wear. But it was really the back of the tankini pattern that sparked me into buying the pattern. Continue reading “Blue and orange tankini (Merckwaerdigh MIX5L)”
This project started off looking for a way to knock-off this Proenza Schouler t-shirt. It is a tie-dyed t-shirt retailing around AU$400 on ShopStyle. I just hope that most of the cost was involved in the labour to make the t-shirt, rather than the label.
My initial thoughts on how to replicate the patterning was to make horizontal accordion folds and then place rubber bands every 1- 1 .5”. The dye would need to be applied in stripes, with a couple of contrast stripes thrown in. My previous attempts at this type of tie-dye hadn’t worked very well, so I thought I’d have a look at a shibori technique called Mokume (woodgrain). It is a stitched resist form of dyeing and creates patterns like you find in ripples of sand at the beach. Continue reading “T-shirt Project: Mokume shibori”
Last year I made the pattern last year “as-is” in leather and have worn it a lot. I have used the pattern as a base to knock-off of the Kuhl Burr jacket. This post covers the design changes that I made. Please see the original post for more detail on the original pattern / instructions etc. Continue reading “Lekala 4305 (Jacket With Stand Collar) in Denim”
Ever since this edition in the mail, I’ve had this pattern high on my wishlist. Love the deep V neckline and partial standup collar! Last year I made a test garment up, in long sleeves. For this version I, I made a few changes, especially to the neckline depth, and added bust darts.
The fabric is a hand-dyed silk noile. (Landscape dyes Pacific and 10% currawong). More about the dying process can be found in this post
I love the neckline on this top, especially the partial collar. The changes I made to make the top more fitted and adding the shirt-tail hem worked well. I’d like to sew this again with long sleeves and a plain yoke. Continue reading “Pattern Review: KnipMode Magazine 03-2014 #108 (Blouse) in Raw Silk”
I found a photo of this top somewhere on Polyvore last year. It can’t remember the designer, but I loved the top. I was going to try drafting it, but on a whim I submitted the photo into Lekala’s “Suggest new style”. It got the most number of votes that week and a couple of weeks later, the pattern was it up on their web site- made to your measurements – and only for a couple of dollars . The kind of thing you only dream about. Thanks Lekala!!! Continue reading “Lekala 4425 (Blouse with ruche) in raw silk”