The glove challenge begins ….

I joined the Pattern Stash contest on PR to help me use up some of the patterns that I’ve put in the ‘gunnawundae’ bucket.  I have no desire to win, just to challenge myself to use the patterns I have.  Many tie in with my winter sewing plans, so that is a big bonus.  Pattern hacking was ruled out ( a blessing in disguise) so I started looking at some of my lingerie and accessory patterns.  Here is the short list… Continue reading “The glove challenge begins ….”

Autumn sewing wrap-up

It’s been almost three months since my last post.  Most of my spare time has been spent enjoying the great outdoors or working in the garden.  I’ve been sewing a little, but not getting around to editing photos for a write-up. So its high time for a quick catch-up.

Continue reading “Autumn sewing wrap-up”

Controlled Exposure Mountain Pants

These are photos of a pair of Goretex pants that I made for DH back in 2010.  The pattern is Controlled Exposure #55 – Mountain Pants.  It was originally reviewed on Pattern Review.  Apologies if you’ve seen this before, but I was trying to fix the photo links for someone but I’m getting an error when I try to save the changes.  So I’m posting them here so they can been seen. Continue reading “Controlled Exposure Mountain Pants”

Blue and orange tankini (Merckwaerdigh MIX5L)

My new tankini is finished and I love how it has turned out.  The printed panel was not as easy to work with as I first thought, but I’m really happy with how the print works with this design.

The pattern is Merckwaerdigh MIX5L, view D.  Which is a tankini version of the bras I made a couple of months back.  The bra is wire free but still very supportive and has been very comfortable to wear.   But it was really the back of the tankini pattern that sparked me into buying the pattern. Continue reading “Blue and orange tankini (Merckwaerdigh MIX5L)”

Jalie 3351 swimshorts

Lately, I’ve been getting a lot of use from a pair of swimshorts that I made a couple of years ago using the Jalie 3351 pattern.  I’ve found them good to wear kayaking or for a social swim & BBQ up a the lake.

When I made the first pair, I picked the size based on my hip measurement and they were way to big.  I ended up taking them in the equivalent of about 3 sizes.  I also found that the pocket wasn’t all that secure. Continue reading “Jalie 3351 swimshorts”

New swimsuit

I’ve been working on a new swimsuit using the blue & orange printed panel, originally from Jets, that I bought from The Remnant Warehouse.  I loved the colours in the print but deciding what to do with it was a real headache. Continue reading “New swimsuit”

Lekala 4466 Knit Blazer and other finish objects…

Lekala 4466 in a textured knit

lekala_knit_blazer_cream_frontI bought this gorgeous textured knit from my “local” indie fabric store at the same time I picked up the pixel plaid wool.  The pattern I had in mind was Lekala 4466  which is designed for knits and has a shawl collar, princess seams and two piece sleeves. Continue reading “Lekala 4466 Knit Blazer and other finish objects…”

Knit Biker Jacket (My Image M1459) Review

This knit jacket is from the pattern for the pinky-grey jacket featured on the cover of My Image 9 (Fall/Winter 2014/15).   The magazine shots show view B, which has a colour blocked layered-look sleeve. View A has a plain sleeve.  There is a mistake in the tech drawing – the front princess seam actually runs from the shoulder rather the armhole.  This was another pattern that was on my wishlist as soon as I saw it.  So since the top I made from the previous edition went so well, I decided it was good time to sew it up.

The fabric is a textured jacquard knit that I bought last year from KnitWit with this pattern in mind.

Continue reading “Knit Biker Jacket (My Image M1459) Review”

Winter wardrobe sewing catch-up: Basic Knit tops and not-so basic jeans

At the top of my list for winter sewing was some plain knit tops, especially cream and black, that  can wear under jackets.  Next in line was a pair of black jeans.

For the tops, I went the top from McCalls M5890 (now OOP).  I’d this so many times that I had to re-trace the pattern because the original was falling apart.  The main reason that I keep going back to this pattern is because of the princess seams.  I use a binding of the neckline and armholes rather than the turned & stitched edges suggested.   I keep meaning to graft in a V neck..  I’ll get there … gunnawundae!

Anyway here they are.  The black is a lightweight silk jersey  while the bone and dark red tops are mid-weight viscose.  Nothing really exciting but they work well with other items in my closet – especially the dark red one with the Tosti jacket. Continue reading “Winter wardrobe sewing catch-up: Basic Knit tops and not-so basic jeans”

My Image Colour Blocked Top (M1412) Review

diamond_top_product_frontThis dress pattern has gorgeous style style lines and is perfect for colour blocking.  It is from the Spring/Summer 2014 edition of My Image and has been on my wishlist for a while now.   Actually, there are a quite few other My Image patterns that I’ve been meaning to make.  But there is always that hesitation of trialling a new pattern company and working out how their draft compares to my dimensions.  So, I thought I’d dip my toe in the water with this pattern and make it as a top. Continue reading “My Image Colour Blocked Top (M1412) Review”