I couldn’t help myself and bought a couple of the new Butterick patterns. This is the top from B6388 in a merino blend interlock. Love the collar! The full review is posted on Pattern Review.
Last week I dropped into my favourite fabric store. It is over 100km from home so I don’t get there that often. In some ways that is a good thing as it is like being in a lolly shop – so many gorgeous fabrics that sometimes it is hard to choose. On this trip three fabrics followed me home. The first two are off-white solids – a silk cotton shirting and a textured knit for a jacket. Continue reading “Pixel Plaid”
Last year I bought a really funky border print fabric and I’ve been searching for a jacket pattern to use with it. The pattern repeat is quite short so I needed to be careful with seaming. I’d been reluctantly leaning towards a bomber jacket. Last week I was searching for a parka pattern for another project and came across the Tosti Utility Jacket by Waffle Patterns and thought it would be worth a try. Continue reading “Waffle Patterns: Tosti Utility Jacket”
For the last 10 years I’ve been wanting to make a Goretex jacket. The RTW one I use for skiing and hiking was designed for someone much taller than I am. Making my own would mean I get a good fit plus have control over pocket styles and added extras like pit zips and detachable hoods. So what has been stopping me all this time? The main issue is can’t really decide on the design I want to make. Some of the slim-fit RTW climbing jackets looks so nice, but maybe not so versatile. The other issue is the paralysis of not wanting to cut into expensive fabric. Continue reading “Lekala 5917: Goretex Jacket”
The last part of the new wardrobe is the “wildcard” pack. The colours can be anything, as long as they match with some (not all) of the items in the previous packs. I’ve used orange tones in my wildcards. Continue reading “‘Start with a skein’ SWAP: Pack 4”
A couple of months back, I found some gorgeous natural linen fabric from my local indie fabric shop. I bought enough for a pair of pants and shorts. After making the pants, I decided to make a matching jacket instead of the shorts. I chose the Lekala 4162 pattern as I’ve had good fitting results with their patterns and liked the style of the jacket. Continue reading “Lekala 4162: Linen Blazer”
Finally, I’m summoned up the courage to tackle this swimsuit (a.k.a. togs). It has only taken 4 years, but I think it will be worth the wait. The pattern is Merckwaerdigh BAD 24. I fell in love with it the first time I saw it. It is very distinctive and I was particularly attracted to the version with the stripes on the band. So, way back then, I found some funky striped fabric in black and white and had it shipped across the pond.
I also ordered the pattern along with some other lingerie supplies from ELingeriA. They sent me the Dutch language version instead on the English. Normally this isn’t a problem, having used KnipMode patterns for many years, I was getting to understand enough of what I was reading to be able to put things together. The pattern pieces have different markings for the notches so it is very easy to work out how the pieces go together. But on this one, I was having trouble working out where and when the elastic is applied. Each year, I’d get the pattern out and then get nervous about doing the elastic wrong. Summer would pass by and nothing would have happened.
So while the temperatures here are hovering around 40°C and my boardshorts just finished, I’m determined to get the project off the ground. Continue reading “The swimsuit 2016: Part 1”
Last year I made the pattern last year “as-is” in leather and have worn it a lot. I have used the pattern as a base to knock-off of the Kuhl Burr jacket. This post covers the design changes that I made. Please see the original post for more detail on the original pattern / instructions etc. Continue reading “Lekala 4305 (Jacket With Stand Collar) in Denim”