Finally, I’m summoned up the courage to tackle this swimsuit (a.k.a. togs). It has only taken 4 years, but I think it will be worth the wait. The pattern is Merckwaerdigh BAD 24. I fell in love with it the first time I saw it. It is very distinctive and I was particularly attracted to the version with the stripes on the band. So, way back then, I found some funky striped fabric in black and white and had it shipped across the pond.
I also ordered the pattern along with some other lingerie supplies from ELingeriA. They sent me the Dutch language version instead on the English. Normally this isn’t a problem, having used KnipMode patterns for many years, I was getting to understand enough of what I was reading to be able to put things together. The pattern pieces have different markings for the notches so it is very easy to work out how the pieces go together. But on this one, I was having trouble working out where and when the elastic is applied. Each year, I’d get the pattern out and then get nervous about doing the elastic wrong. Summer would pass by and nothing would have happened.
When this pattern was first released I was really excited. I had seen a similar style in RTW on Anthropology and more recently, the Style Arc Marie Jacket pattern. The different closures were appealing, especially view C with the toggle closure.
I made it up in a lightweight printed mesh. The fabric is gorgeous but doesn’t show up well in the photographs. I guess I had high hopes for this pattern. It is OK, but because it feels a little long on me, I’m not loving it as much as I hoped I would. Continue reading “Pattern Review: McCall 7199 in Printed Mesh”→
I made these pants in a very heavy, tightly woven cotton twill. The fabric is still a little stiff but should soften (I hope). The style lines of this pattern a great – a bit more detailed than most pant patterns. The princess seams make fitting much easier too.
Ever since this edition in the mail, I’ve had this pattern high on my wishlist. Love the deep V neckline and partial standup collar! Last year I made a test garment up, in long sleeves. For this version I, I made a few changes, especially to the neckline depth, and added bust darts.
The fabric is a hand-dyed silk noile. (Landscape dyes Pacific and 10% currawong). More about the dying process can be found in this post
This pattern is a 1 yard wonder! The peplum takes up most of the fabric, but it is possible to lay the bodice and sleeve pieces around it.
With a number of peplum patterns coming out lately, I decided to give this a go. I love the way the peplum sits. It doesn’t have as much fullness as the BMV patterns I’ve looked at and this suits me much better – skims rather than flounces. I wasn’t sure how the hi-lo hem would go as side-on they can just look ill-fitting ( like the hem is being raised because you need an FBA) but it doesn’t look too bad. The length on the front and back is very flattering. I also like the custom fit on this pattern, as I normally have to make a lot of adjustments for being short with narrow shoulders. It is so nice just to trace out the pattern and sew.
I love it! It feels so nice to put it on and I know I’m going to wear it a lot!To my amazement, there are no wrinkles, the sleeve hangs perfectly, and doesn’t bind when I lift my arm up. I’ve also really surprised myself with the construction. 12 months ago, I could only dream of sewing a jacket as well as this.
I found a photo of this top somewhere on Polyvore last year. It can’t remember the designer, but I loved the top. I was going to try drafting it, but on a whim I submitted the photo into Lekala’s “Suggest new style”. It got the most number of votes that week and a couple of weeks later, the pattern was it up on their web site- made to your measurements – and only for a couple of dollars . The kind of thing you only dream about. Thanks Lekala!!! Continue reading “Lekala 4425 (Blouse with ruche) in raw silk”→