This project has been in the pipe-line for a while so it is nice to see it finished and finally blogged. I wanted to make a bomber/varsity jacket from a ‘graffiti’ jacquard fabric but finding the right pattern wasn’t as easy as I first thought. There is something about jacquard fabrics that I can’t resist. This one is from Elliot Berman Textiles. Continue reading “Graffiti jacquard bomber jacket”
Last year I made a rayon top using Butterick 5988. I loved the design as it is a nice alternative to a fitted woven T. The waist darts release into a box pleat which gives a slight peplum look. It was a very wearable muslin, but I had taken the side seams in quite a lot during fitting but the shoulders still felt very big.
How cool is this? A lovely handwoven basket made from prunings from the garden. Just perfect for harvesting the vegies. The idea for the basket came from a recent episode of Gardening Australia (fact sheet and video here). Making the basket is fairly easy, although a bit time consuming. The shape of this one is quite broad and perfect for harvesting vegies and fruit. Finished dimensions for the base is 60cm x 35cm and 20cm deep Continue reading “Handwoven: Veggie basket from garden prunings”
Last October I did a mock-up of the the Cashmerette Ames Jeans. Armed with some stretch cotton, I’ve revisited the pattern to make a straight leg and skinny jeans.
I was looking for a top pattern to work with the knit below. It was purchased to make a knock-off of a top that I’d seen on Polvore (so sad the site is no longer running) that looked so similar to McCalls 6991. After I bought the pattern, I realised that the front piece is all in one, with the front piece folded at the hem to make the wrap. This would mean that the wrong, unprinted side of the print would show. 😦 Continue reading “Two for Tuesday: Kwik Sew 3658 knit tops”
I’ve had this project on my wishlist for a while now. You may have noticed a drawing on this shirt in my “Now Sewing” section of the side bar for some time (since December at least). Sometimes you can’t rush a project, but with the cooler weather approaching, I finally got around to making it. Continue reading “A striped linen shirt”
Had a wonderful day yesterday learning to weave a basket with Lomandra. Many thanks to Cassie Leatham for sharing her traditional techniques and infectious passion for weaving. It was a fantastic day and I’ve already started making the string for when she returns to teach us string bag making. Continue reading “Basketweaving”
My SWAP (sewing with a plan) is complete. This year’s rules required us to choose a colour scheme from an inspiration photo; two neutrals with 2-5 accents and/or prints. Each item needed to make at least 2 outfits. While I didn’t need a fully cohesive capsule wardrobe, I did want to plug a few gaps in what I already have, and to add much more colour. My colour scheme is based on a butterfly print fabric that I had. Lots of colours to choose from. Continue reading “SWAP 2019 finished”
Whooo-hoooo! I finally got this project done and dusted. Back in December, I made plans for some lingerie sewing. “Project C” was the one I really, really, REALLY wanted to work out well. So naturally, I procrastinated on starting it :-). Continue reading “‘Project C’ – Pleated olive and black bra set”
When Lyndle left a comment on my recent weaving post asking how long it took, it spurred me into action on planning my bomber jacket. I generally have something on the loom, and I weave whenever I feel like it. Sometimes for half an hour; sometimes for 4 hours. Sometimes each day; sometimes with gaps of weeks. If I was going to be able to wear it during the coming winter, I’d better get my skates ( or shuttles) on. Starting now, I may have the cloth ready by the end of May, followed by a month of procrastinating with the fear of cutting into the fabric to make the jacket. Continue reading “Handwoven Bomber jacket : design musings”