Designer Knock-off: Kuhl Destroyer pant

My next knock-off is the Kuhl Destroyer Pant. I think I was crazy to try to make these pants, but life is boring without a bit of a challenge? Drafting the pattern turned out to be the ‘easy’ bit. The biggest headache was working out how to sew the sides as they have a normal side seam from the waistband to below the hip, then it changes to a side panel starting with a zippered pocket with flap. Which seam to sewn first?

Continue reading “Designer Knock-off: Kuhl Destroyer pant”

Designer Knock-off: Marmot Ginny Pants

My first real pants drafted from the sloper I made is based on the Marmot Ginny hiking pant. I love the back pocket. The shape of the pant is very similar to the pant sloper. The main thing I needed to draft was the patch pockets on the front and back.

Marmot_ginny_pant
Marmot Ginny Tech Drawing

Continue reading “Designer Knock-off: Marmot Ginny Pants”

The North Face Pseudio Biker and Denali Jacket Knock-offs

High on my sewing list this winter has been to knock-off a couple of North Face jackets. I’ve been planning to sew the Denali jacket using Kwik Sew 3813 ever since the pattern came out.  When searching for detailed pictures of the inside of the jacket, I came across photos of the Pseudio Moto jacket.  Oh!  Wow!  I had to make my own Continue reading “The North Face Pseudio Biker and Denali Jacket Knock-offs”

The hut boots are finished!!!!!!

Yay! I just finished the other hut boot. It’s been a labour of love so I guess it makes a good Valentines day present.

We had a run of days last week that were over 40C and he asked me about three time when I was going to make the other boot. So I think that when the next heat wave rolls around, I’m going to make him wear them 🙂  Sound fair???? Continue reading “The hut boots are finished!!!!!!”

Goretex Gloves and Gaiters: The next challenge

I think I probably did too good of a job on the hut boots.  He’s been showing them around and now I have orders.  Even saying that they have to BYO goose down wasn’t a deterrent.  Now DH has given a pair of 30 year old Goretex overmits and a manky pair of gaiters.  My next ‘challenge’ was to  create new ones. Continue reading “Goretex Gloves and Gaiters: The next challenge”

Hut boots: Final version

Tadahhh!  We have one left hut boot ready for Christmas.  He’ll have to wait for the second as we’ve just started the first heatwave of the summer.  As much as I love him, I’m not willing to be stuffing goose down into the liners when its above 400C.    Here is a pic of the final product. Continue reading “Hut boots: Final version”

You want me to make what???

For the past year or so DH has been asking me to make a pair of bivvy boots for snow camping.  Wha? Probably best described as a sleeping bag for your feet – aka. hut boots.  The ones he wanted were goose down filled and cost about $150.  He tells me the insulation is 1-2″ thick.  Can’t find a comercial pattern that would help much, especially as the insulation is so thick.  I was hoping he’d just buy them, but alas no.   Somehow these have turned into his Christmas present 😦 Continue reading “You want me to make what???”

If at first you don’t succeed …. try again

Recently I bought a lightweight sweater knit to make a summer pullover/cardi/beach cover-up type of thing.  As you can tell, I didn’t have a firm idea of what I’d like to make with it.  My first attempt didn’t really work, but I managed to salvage it into something I love. Continue reading “If at first you don’t succeed …. try again”

T-shirt Project: Mokume shibori

Proenza Schouler tie dye t-shirt This project started off looking for a way to knock-off this Proenza Schouler t-shirt.  It is a tie-dyed t-shirt retailing around AU$400 on ShopStyle.  I just hope that most of the cost was involved in the labour to make the t-shirt, rather than the label.

My initial thoughts on how to replicate the patterning was to make horizontal accordion folds and then place rubber bands every 1- 1 .5”.  The dye would need to be applied in stripes, with a couple of contrast stripes thrown in.  My previous attempts at this type of tie-dye hadn’t worked very well, so I thought I’d have a look at a shibori technique called Mokume (woodgrain).  It is a stitched resist form of dyeing and creates patterns like you find in  ripples of sand at the beach. Continue reading “T-shirt Project: Mokume shibori”